Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
This time of year there are not as many races on the schedule, but you can still find some fun runs that support local causes without breaking the bank. If you’re not sure you want to race, but definitely want to keep running, join up with some friends you haven’t seen for a while and go for a walk or run to celebrate this “bonus week” occurring since Thanksgiving was so early this year. All are invited to join Run Oregon’s Stickmen Run, a casual group run from Stickmen Brewery at SW 108th and Herman in Tualatin, Fridays at 5:15p. Usually, our pace is around 10:15-10:30 and we run 3 miles, but if you want to run a shorter distance or different pace, join us anyway and we’ll figure it out!
If that group run doesn’t work for you, may we suggest you look up the Bethany Runners United, NoPo Runners, Team Red Lizard, or Sunstone Run Club? All are on facebook and all have weekly runs.
Races with low prices or that we just think are cool, coming up the next few weekends:
- The Eugene Holiday Half Marathon & Hustle 10k/5k on December 15 has some really good prices. The 10k and 5k are only $20, and the half is $50. Even if you wait until DOR, it’s only $5 more.
- The Jingle Bell Jog in Lincoln City is on Saturday, December 15, and it’s only $15 for a 5k. That’s a great price! Participants can put on the provided bells, if they want to jingle all the way, and there will be free coffee and hot cocoa at the finish.
- This Saturday, December 8, you can run the Vernonia Ugly Sweater Run 5k for just $20. The race is at Anderson Park and of course, there are prizes for the ugliest sweater.
- Mac’s Run in Coos Bay offers a 5k and a 10k, both priced at $25. The race is Saturday, December 8 at Sunset Bay State Park.
- The PRC Winter 5k Series starts on December 15, with the two other races on January 12 and February 9. Sign up for the whole series for $75, and if you’re a first-time (or first time in a while) racer, you can enter for a chance to WIN an entry and run with me, Kelly Barten!
Registration opening/price bumps to be aware of:
- Registration for Peterson Ridge Rumble opens Monday, December 10, 2018. The race is scheduled for Sunday, April 14 outside Sisters, Ore.
- The Shamrock Run has a price increase on December 10th – a bump of $10 for the half. Sign up by then for $79. Until then the 15k is $54 (goes to $59), the 8k is $45 (goes to $49), and the 5k is $39 (goes to $44). This St. Patrick’s-theme race is one of the biggest events in Portland each year and will be held on Sunday, March 17, 2019.
- Three races from Terrapin Events have a price bump on December 7 (this Friday), including the March 16 Dirty Leprechaun Obstacle Course Race, the April 14 Bridge to Brews, and the May 5 Cinco de Mayo.
- The price for the Easter/spring-themed 2019 Hop Hop Half will go up on December 18, so sign up by the 17th to lock in the best price. The race is on Saturday, April 20, and until then the half is $69, the 10k is $48, and the 5k is $37.