Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
If you waited too long to sign up for the Shellburg Falls Trail Run this Saturday, I hate to be the one to tell you that the race is full. However, there are other great races coming up, including the next race from Run Wild Adventures, the New Year’s Day Hangover Run in Salem. Registration is now open for this 3k ($15) and Beer Mile ($10). This race usually also fills, so don’t wait to sign up!
The PRC Winter 5k Series starts on December 15, with the two other races on January 12 and February 9. Sign up for the whole series for $75, and you can also get the super-cute long-sleeve shirt for $20. It’s got a penguin on it.
First, a few free fun runs/group runs:
- In La Pine on the 8th, there’s a free Jingle Bell Fun Run 5k. The course will make use of the City’s Light Parade course and finish up with cookies and cider.
- CORK’s Hot Chocolate Runs aren’t races, but they are fun 5-7 mile runs with hot cocoa at the end. The next one is Sunday, December 9, starting at 9a from Loge Entrada at 19221 SW Century Drive in Bend.
- Monday, December 17, FootZone is hosting their annual Cookie Run. This group run/cookie exchange is a family-friendly 3-mile run starting at 5:30p.
Next, races with low prices or that we just think are cool, coming up the next few weekends:
- The Canyon Rumble Frozen Half, 10k, and 5k in Madras on Saturday, December 1 offers great prices and has race-day registration (for an extra $5). The half is $45, the 10k is $30, and the 5k is $20.
- The next race in Eugene’s Taco Tuesday Twilight Trot Series is on December 4. Registration is $25 when done online ahead of time or $30 DOR. Runs start at Eclectic Edge’s office at 750 Commercial St and start at 6p; registration includes a taco bar and two drink tickets.
- Klamath Falls’ Ugly Sweater Run offers a free Kids Dash and $20 registration for Veterans and Active Duty Military (regular price is $25, or kids can run the 5k for just $5). This race is also on Saturday, December 1.
- The Frozen Trail Runfest in Eugene (Mt. Pigsah) is coming up on December 8. The 50k is $55, the 25k is $40, and the 15k is $35. This is a reader favorite, because it draws a supportive community of runners and is run on challenging yet fun trails.
- Also on the 8th is Mac’s Run in Coos Bay. I’m including this one because you can choose the 5k or the 10k for just $25, which is a great price for a 10k. The entire race is on paved roads, but fair warning: there are hills (and great views).
- The Vernonia Ugly Sweater Run is also on the 8th. It’s a 5k for just $20, and students can register for just $10.
Finally, heads up on price bumps coming up soon:
- The 2019 Roaring Run Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k has a price bump on on November 30th. Sign up by the 29th for the half for $37, the 10k for $27, or the 5k for $22. Those prices are pretty amazing! The race will be run on Saturday, February 2 in Scio.
- The ORRC Hagg Mud 50k/25k has a price increase on December 1. Sign up by then for the 50k for $86 (goes to $96), the 25k for $66 (goes to $76), or both for $112. The 50k is on Saturday, February 16 and the 25k is on Sunday, February 17, but there’s also an option to run the 25k on Sunday with limited spots available.
- The Dirty Leprechaun Obstacle Course Race will have a price increase on December 7 as well. Until then, it’s $55 ($60 after). The race will run on Saturday, March 16, 2019.
- The Shamrock Run has a price increase on December 10th – a bump of $10 for the half. Sign up by then for $79. Until then the 15k is $54 (goes to $59), the 8k is $45 (goes to $49), and the 5k is $39 (goes to $44). This St. Patrick’s-theme race is one of the biggest events in Portland each year and will be held on Sunday, March 17, 2019.
- The cost for the 2019 Bridge to Brews also has a price increase on December 7. The race, which is on Sunday, April 14, has a 10k and an 8k, at $54. On December 8, it jumps to $59.
- Registration cost for the 2019 Hop Hop Half will go up on December 18, so sign up by the 17th to lock in the best price. The race is on Saturday, April 20, and until then the half is $69, the 10k is $48, and the 5k is $37.
- Prices for the 2019 Cinco de Mayo will go up $5 on December 7. The race itself is on Sunday, May 5, and there is a half for $74, a 10k for for $54, and a 5k for $36.