Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
We are less than two weeks from PORTLANDATHON, friends! This is going to be an epic event put on by local race company Run with Paula and her wonderful crew. If you haven’t yet signed up … do it! There is of course the full marathon, a half marathon, a 5-miler, and a 4-mile walk, so there is something for everyone at this race on Sunday, October 7 in downtown Portland.
Also, keep in mind that the Red Lizard Stumptown Cross Series is starting up Saturday, September 29. Look at the full schedule online here, with links to register. Individual races are $15 and the full series is $50 for 5 races.
The next race in Eugene’s Taco Tuesday Twilight Trot Series is on October 2. Registration is $25 when done online ahead of time or $30 DOR. Runs start at Eclectic Edge’s office at 750 Commercial St and start at 6p; registration includes a taco bar and two drink tickets.
Price bumps coming up:
- The 2019 Eugene Marathon and related events go up $10 on October 15! Be sure to register early if you want to save a little money.
- The Happy Girls Half in Sisters has a price increase on October 2. The race is on November 3, and if you sign up before the price bump, you’ll save $5.
- Reminder: There’s a price increase for the Cascade Half Marathon on October 1. Until then, the half is $40 and the 10k is $30. The race is on Sunday, January 20 in Turner (near Salem).
- Lark Racing’s DRT11 (an 11-mile trail run) goes up $5 to $55 on September 30. The race is near Bend on Saturday, November 6.
Here are the races we like for the next few weekends, either because they’re a great price, for a great cause, or are going to be just plain awesome:
- The Tigard K9 5K is this Sunday, September 29. Registration supports the canine officers of Tigard Police Department. Plus, there’s a $5 kids run! The race starts at 9a at Cook Park in Tigard.
- The Friends of Mt. Tabor Park Tar n Trail offers a 5k for $15 and a 10k for $25. The race is this Sunday, September 30 at Mt. Tabor Park in SE Portland. Funds support maintenance and trailwork at Mt. Tabor Park.
- The Kingsley Field Duathlon and Runs on October 6th in Klamath Falls have a 5k for only $10. There’s also a 10k for $30 and then the duathlon events – click here for more details and to register.
- Our friends at the Oregon Brewery Running Series are putting on a run in Newport on October 6. They’ll be running from Rogue, so you might as well plan a weekend trip to the Aquarium while you’re at it.
- The Run for Resiliance Ostomy 5k is on Saturday, October 6th as well in Milwaukie, and it’s only $15. Online registration is open through the 3rd.
- Another race on the 6th is the McMinnville Education Foundation’s Runtoberfest. The 5k is $25 and there’s a kid’s mile for $10, with proceeds going to the Foundation. Supporting schools is a cause Run Oregon will always cheer for! Online registration closes on the 4th, and DOR prices jump $10 so definitely sign up ahead of time.
- On the South Oregon Coast on the 6th, the run to do will be the Charleston Salmon Run. There’s a 10k for only $25, a marathon for $79, and a half for $59. There’s also a mile walk for $10.
- If you’re near Salem, check out the Salem Stride 10k/5k on October 6th. Geared towards people new-ish to running or racing, these races are at Minto Brown Park and have great prices: $10 for the 10k and $5 for the 5k. At $1/kilometer, you really can’t beat it.
- The Great Pumpkin Run in Corvallis is on Saturday, October 13, and they have a special price for those age 65+ (and I know lots of people 65+ that race!) … you can sign up for their 10k for $25 or the 5k for $22. For the rest of us (under 65), it’s $40/$35, but I love that they offer that discount.