Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
The next race in Eugene’s Taco Tuesday Twilight Trot Series is on September 11. Registration is $25 when done online ahead of time or $30 DOR. Runs start at Eclectic Edge’s office at 750 Commercial St and start at 6p; registration includes a taco bar and two drink tickets.
Another race to make sure you check out is the Grants Pass Marathon, Half, 10k, 5k, and Kid’s Fun Run on October 27. If you’ve been wondering how you could support Southern Oregon’s tourism industry after a summer of fire and smoke, here’s a great opportunity. Until October 15, the prices are really great: the full is $45, the half is $30, the 10k is $25, and the 5k is $10.
Here are some low-cost races over the next two weekends that you may want to run, walk, or volunteer for:
- We found a free race for this Sunday: The Edge Family Fitness Run 5k, Kids Mud Run, and Terrain/Obstacle Course Run. It’s in Wilsonville and the kid’s race is first (10:30a), followed by the 5k run at 11:15a and the terrain/obstacle course run at noon.
- The Walterville Waddle 5k is this Saturday, September 8 at 8a in Springfield, Ore, and what’s cool about this is that the men’s and women’s race winners get to ride in the parade immediately after the race! The 5k is only $20, or only $15 for age 56+ or U17.
- Also this Saturday, September 8, is the Stagecoach Run in Jacksonville. There is a 10k and a 5k, $25 for either one for non-SOR members.
- Another Portland Parks & Recreation $5 5k is coming up on Sunday, September 16 at Westmoreland Park.
- The Oktoberfest Road Race in Mt. Angel has three distances, a 5k, 10k, and half marathon. The real deal here is the 10k, which is $32 and I think a decent price for a 10k. This is known to be a fast course and attracts a lot of highly competitive runners, but it fun no matter your pace because OKTOBERFEST. The race is on Saturday, September 15 at 9a (8a for the half).
- The Prefontaine Run 10k is on Saturday, September 15 in Coos Bay, and if you sign up on line by the 11th, it’s only $30.
And since we’re all about saving money, here are a few price increases – including some that go up tonight!
- The Storm King Half Marathon which is on October 13 in Bend has a price increase tonight at midnight. Until then the half is only $45, the 10k is $35, and the 5k is $20. Prices go up $5 after that, so still a great price for a half.
- The Raw Oregon Honey 5k XC race has a price bump tonight at 11p. Sign up by then to save $5, the regular price after that is $35. This race is on Saturday, September 15 at 9a in Oregon City.
- Run Like Hell has a price increase on September 14. The race is on Sunday, October 21 in Portland.
- The Columbia Gorge Marathon has a price increase coming up on October 1 (the race is October 21 in Hood River). Through September, the full is $105 and the half is $90.
- The Reindeer Run in St. Helens on December 1 has a price bump coming up on September 15. Until then, the half is $60, and the 10k or 5k are $50.