Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
Our very own blogger Nikki Mueller (a RRCA-certified coach) just started a Run Training program that meets Thursday mornings at 9:30a to run on the Fanno Creek Trail. If you know of someone who could use some support getting into running (or getting back into running), check this out.
It’s almost Labor Day! Here are three great races to start your bonus Monday off right:
- In Beaverton, come run the race that Nikki, Abby, and I are putting on for Oregon Road Runners Club! The Greenway Trail Trial start line is open from 7a to 9a with runners and walkers starting in groups of up to 6, with a 10k course on the flat Fanno Creek Trail. Sign up online for $35 here. (ORRC members can sign up online for $25.)
- In Eugene, the Eugene Brews Cruise 5k looks like a blast and those 21+ get a pint included with their registration. Sign up for $25 online here and then head to Hop Valley Brewing Company on Labor Day at noon.
- In Sheridan, you can join the Wine for Kids 5k at J Wrigley Vineyards. There’s a 3k and a 5k for $30 or a fun mile for $10, with proceeds benefiting the McMinnville School District.
Here are some races with low registration prices this and next weekend:
- The Umatilla County Do or Dye Fun Run is this Saturday and you can sign up for no charge! This run in Pendleton starts at 9a from Roy Raley Park. It’s a 3.5-mile untimed walk/run.
- The Bowerman Track Club Summer 3k XC Series is going on now, with races this week and next week on Wednesdays (August 23 and 30) at the Nike campus.
- The Portland Trail Series starts August 29 and your last day to sign up is August 26. The series has five races at Forest Park, every other Wednesday at 6:15p. The dates are August 29, September 12, September 26, October 10, and October 24.
- The Bend Trail Series are Thursday evening races, every other week starting August 30 and continuing on September 13, September 27, and October 11. The four-race series is $70.
- August 23 and August 30 are your last chances to run in the Bush Park XC Series. The race this week is $5 and next week’s is $6. There are both 3k and 5k distances, with the 3k starting first at 6p. Sign up online here.
- Next weekend on September 1 is the Hardesty Hardcore Challenge in Oakridge. This has always been a well-run event and participants have all good things to say about it. There’s a 14-miler for $35 and a 5.5-miler for $30.
- Also on September 1, there’s a $5 5k at Minto-Brown Park in Salem. (There is also a 10k for $10 and another $5 5k on October 6.) You can sign up online through the City of Salem’s website.
- The Stagecoach Run in Jacksonville is on Saturday, September 8. There’s a 10k at 9:30a and a 5k at 10a. The cost is $25 for non-SOR members and $20 for members.
Price increases coming up soon:
- The Sisters Happy Girls Half has another price increase on 9/1. Sign up before then for the 5k for $35, or the half for $80. The race is on November 3.
- EWEB Run to Stay Warm has a price increase on August 31. Sign up before then for the half for $50, the 10k for $30, or the 5k for $20. The race is on Sunday, November 18 in Eugene.
- Molalla River Trail Run is on Saturday, September 22. You can sign up online for the half marathon for only $50 – what a good deal! The 10k is $40 and the 5k is $30.