Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
There is a price bump for the Portlandathon TOMORROW, August 1. Sign up tonight … NOW … for the best price! Can we just take a minute and check out the great sponsors? Gatorade, Clif Bar, Rogue Beers, VillaSport, Dave’s Killer Bread, Club Pilates, Stanford’s Restaurants, Portland Running Company, KINK, Fox12 Oregon, White Claw Hard Seltzer, Therapeutic Associates, and more!
If you want to run the Silver Falls 50k, marathon, half marathon, or 7 miler – get up early. Registration opens at 8a and will sell out quickly. The races are November 3 and 4 in Silver Falls State Park.
The next race in Eugene’s Taco Tuesday Twilight Trot Series is on August 7. Registration is $25 when done online ahead of time or $30 DOR. Runs start at Eclectic Edge’s office at 750 Commercial St and start at 6p; registration includes a taco bar and two drink tickets.
Early bird pricing for the 2018 Civil War Relay ends on August 15. Until then, it’s $340/team when paying online or $325 when sending a check.
The absolutely free Bowerman Track Club Summer 3k XC Series is returning in August! The website doesn’t have the 2018 dates updated yet but I have confirmed that races will be the last 4 Wednesdays in August. The dates for the 2018 races are: August 8, 15, 22, and 29. As usual, each week will offer a slightly different format, including a handicapper and prediction race. Note that registration is at the Joan Benoit Samuelson Patio and the races themselves will make use of the Hollister trail.
Here are some other upcoming races that we think are a great price or a super-fun event you may want to check out:
- The Run Northbest Series starts this Wednesday. It’s the first 4 Wednesdays in August at MurrayHill Park in S. Beaverton, with races starting at 6:30 (moved to 6:30 to accommodate the traffic cluster that is downtown Portland’s freeway work) $35 for the 5k series and $55 for the 10k series.
- The Bush Park XC Series in Salem starts this Thursday, August 2, and runs the four following Thursdays. The first four races are $3/person and the last one is $4/person. Distances offered include 3k and 5k, plus shorter distances for youth.
- Homer’s Classic 8k and 2-miler (run/walk) is on Sunday, August 5 and it’s only $18. The race is in Silverton and has a reputation for being fast.
- The Oregon Trail Game 5k is also this Sunday, August 5 in downtown Oregon City. There’s a free kid’s race at 10:15a; the main event (the 5k) is $35. This is a really fun event – speed really has nothing to do with how fun it is, either, which I love. It’s a very family-friendly 5k with fun activities at the finish for the littles.
- The Scandia Run is another race with a reputation for earning fast times. There’s a 10k or a 5k, either one is $20 for adults. The race is on Saturday, August 11 in Junction City at 8a.
- Also on the 11th, the Aurora Colony Days 5k is only $20. Running in Aurora, the 5k starts at 7:30a with a kids run ($10) at 8:30a. Registration includes a t-shirt if you sign up ahead of time.
- Another Portland Parks & Recreation $5 5k is coming up on Sunday, August 12 at Columbia Park.
A little further out, the Beat Beethoven’s 5k is on Saturday, August 25 at Central Oregon Community College in Bend. In a unique format, runners try to finish their 5k faster than the 33-ish minute-long Beethoven’s 5th Symphony. The race benefits the Central Oregon Symphony. This is a cool idea!
Want to get a jump start on XC? The Eugene Fall Classic is a 3k XC race on Wednesday, August 29 in Eugene. The women’s race is at 6:30p and the men’s is at 7p; registration is $25.