Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
Call this your last reminder, registration for the Silver Falls Marathon and Half opens tomorrow at 8a! The races are November 3-4.
On July 28, the Oregon Brewery Series is going to a brewery I’ve never been to before: Grixsen Brewing on SE Division. Want to check it out? The run starts at 11a and you can register online here.
‘Tis the season for race series! Here are three starting up really soon and a few starting later that you’ll want to check out if you like the challenge (and great prices) that come with series:
- The Race Northbest starts Wednesday, August 1, with races each Wednesday for four weeks. There’s a 5k option for $35 and a 10k option for $55. All races are at Murrayhill Park (SW Murray and SW Scholls Ferry, basically) in S. Beaverton, starting at 6p. Bonus: Participants have a full hour to finish the distance, so walkers, the 5k is well within range! And did I mention there’s Deschutes beer? Well, there is. Bring your ID.
- The Bush Park XC Series in Salem starts Thursday, August 2, and runs the four following Thursdays. The first four races are $3/person and the last one is $4/person. Distances offered include 3k and 5k, plus shorter distances for youth.
- SOR is hosting a 2-race 3k XC series, with races on Tuesdays, July 31 and August 7. Races start at Bear Creek Amphitheater at 7:30p and are $10 for SOR members/$15 for non members, with special pricing for youth.
- Go Beyond Racing’s Fall Trail Series starts August 29, but registration tends to fill quickly, so don’t delay. Races are on every other Wednesday, starting 8/29 and continuing on 9/12, 9/26, 10/10, 10/24. Start time is 6:15p and races run in Forest Park with a different course, 4-7 miles, each week. Registration is $75 for the series.
Other great races or budget-friendly events coming up this weekend:
- If you want to run in a competitive field at the Nike Campus and you’re not a nationally-competitive runner, this Saturday evening (July 28) is your chance! The Bowerman 5k starts at 7p at Nike’s HQ in Beaverton. You can still sign up online for $40.
- Saturday morning you can run in the donation-registration One Small Step 5k, a fundraiser for Prader-Willi research. The race is at 8a at Hillsboro High School on Saturday, July 28.
- This Saturday, the 28th, is also the Manzanita Beach Run. There’s a 5k and a 10k, both races have registration open for $36 (good deal for 10k)! Sign up by midnight on Thursday, July 26 otherwise the price increases to $40.
- Sunday, July 29, there’s a $20 5k in Lowell, Ore. The Devil’s Dam Dash starts at 8:30a at Lowell High School. Sign up online here.
Next Wednesday, August 1, is ORRC’s annual Dual Duel at Catlin Gabel School. There’s an individual track 10k, and the main event: the 2-person 10-mile relay. Sign up for $25 online here. Also at the Dual Duel, ORRC is hosting the ORRC Mile. It’s only $5 and will be split into youth, open, and elite heats. Why not see how fast you can run a mile