Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
Here’s what we’ve been keeping our eyes on lately:
Have you run the Barrel to Keg Relay? This is a great one-day relay with all proceeds supporting the Community Services Consortium. It starts in Philomath and runs to Newport, and will be on Saturday, July 14 this year. Sign up for $75/person before 6/29.
Reminders on a few low-price races coming up this week and weekend:
- The Summer Solstice Fund Run & Walk is a “Donation Registration” (Run Oregon suggests $20) that will benefit the Forest Grove Senior and Community Center. The run/walk will be on Wednesday, June 20 at 7p. I think this is a 5k, as it starts at the School District’s main building and runs on the B Street Trail. Bonus: Hot Dogs at the finish line!
- Salem Summer Solstice 5k/10k on Friday, June 22 is only $16 for either distance. This evening race is at Minto Brown Park.
- The Taste of Parkrose 5k Fun Run at Rossi Farms in NE Portland on Saturday, June 23 is only $20 for adults or $15 for age 18 and younger.
And coming up next weekend:
- The Rocket Run in The Dalles (at Lewis & Clark Festival Park) on June 30th at 7:30a, and if you mail in your entry form by June 28, registration is only $10. There is a 1k, 3k, 5k, and 10k. DOR registration is only $15 (these are the no-shirt price options) so it’s still a great deal.
- The Harrisburg Firecracker 5k & Kids Fun Run is also on the 30th (in Harrisburg, Ore) and is $20 if you register before Saturday this week.
- There’s a fun “5k Run and Outdoor Skills Challenge” scheduled for June 30th in Monmouth. It’s at the EE Wilson Wildlife Area and trained outdoor instructors will let you try out (if you want to – these activities are not required as part of the race) tracking, archery, trap shooting, fly-fishing, bird identification, in addition to the 5k run. The cost to sign up is only $20.
- Out on the Oregon coast, you can run in the Miss Oregon Crown Town 5k Fun Run on the 30th at 9a for just $20. The race is at beautiful Camp Rilea near Warrenton.
The Pacific NW Marathon is coming up on Saturday, September 15 and still has spots for the marathon for $75, the half for $45, and the 5k for $20. We like those prices, and this is a beautiful race in the Eugene/Coburg/Harrisburg area. But there’s a price increase in just 13 days … so sign up sooner rather than later!
Reminder: Registration is open for Run with Paula’s Bridge of the Goddess Run! There’s a half marathon or 10k for $89. The race is on Saturday, September 15 in Cascade Locks.
Registration for the 2018 Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon will increase on June 29th from $110 to $115. The race will run on Saturday, September 1 near Carlton.