Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
The Portland Track Festival is this Saturday and Sunday at Lewis & Clark College. This is an elite track meet with some competitive high school and community events, and always a lot of fun to watch. It’s a great way to expose kids to high-level running and hang out with friends. Tickets are $15 for both Saturday and Sunday or $10 for just one day. If you can’t attend, you can watch it live on FloTrack – click here to see the schedule.
Speaking of track … The first of three youth all-comers meets in Corvallis is June 13. It’s only $2 per participant and includes unlimited events. Click here to see the event on facebook, see which track and field events will be held, and get more details. The other two meets are on June 27 and July 11.
One great event that caught our eye this week is the Tilikum Trail Run near Newberg. Held on the 4th of July each year, it’s a 5k and mile run followed by a “Family Fun Day” that includes a BBQ, swimming, canoeing, fishing, archery, visiting the farm animals, and exploring. If you sign up before June 13, the price is $35 for adults and $15 for youth. After that, it jumps to $45/$25. This is a really fun event and proceeds support sponsorships for low-income kids to attend Camp Tilikum. The course is primarily a mix of trail and cross-country, and you’ll burn enough calories to get an extra hot dog or veggie burger at a holiday BBQ.
The Crater Lake Rim Runs are coming up on August 11th (a Saturday) and the race isn’t quite full yet. Don’t wait too long as it fills out every year. There’s not a price increase until July 11 but that might be too late. The 6.7-miler is $65, the 13-miler is $70, and the marathon is $95.
The Oregon Track Club Series is going strong. Their 4th race is on Thursday, June 14 at Island Park in Springfield at 6p. It’s only $5 for non-OTC members and free for members.
Just to recap the low-cost races we listed last weekend that you can still sign up for:
- FREE 5k! The Bookin’ It Library 5k Fun Run in Corvallis is this Saturday.
- The Wetlands Webfoot Waddle in Prineville on Saturday is a 5k for just $20.
- Jennifer’s Catching Slough Classic is in Coos Bay on Saturday. All three distances (5k, 10k, or half marathon are just $25).
- The next Portland Parks & Recreation $5 5k is on Sunday, June 10 at Fernhill Park.
- The Backyard Half Marathon will run in White Salmon on June 16 in White Salmon, Wash. This trail half with challenging elevation gain and loss is a suggested donation of $25.
- The Outdoor Sunday Evenings 5k in Beaverton is on Sunday, July 8. Sign up by June 24 for just $5 which includes dinner.