Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
This weekend, not a ton of low-price races, but here are two to check out, plus a bonus on on June 5th:
- The just-for-kids Tualatin Blender Dash is this Sunday, June 2, but registration closes TOMORROW, Wednesday, May 30th. It’s $20 and actually a grown-up-caliber event but just for the kiddos. This run includes elements of a color run, foam run, mud run, obstacle run, and an optional zombie run.
- Also this weekend is the Run With the Eagle 5k at Sexton Mountain Elementary in South Beaverton. This 5k is only $5!! This is a challenging course with plenty of hills, but it’s about time you started training for Cascade Lakes Relay anyway.
- The next race in Eugene’s Taco Tuesday Twilight Trot Series is on June 5. Registration is $25 when done online ahead of time or $30 DOR. Runs start at Eclectic Edge’s office at 750 Commercial St and start at 6p; registration includes a taco bar and two drink tickets.
Heads up! The Foot Traffic Flat, running on the 4th of July at Sauvie Island, has some deadlines coming up: the last day to be guaranteed a shirt is June 1, and the last day to order a custom bib is June 11.
Coming up next weekend and beyond:
- How about a FREE 5k!? The Bookin’ It Library 5k Fun Run is free and is on Saturday, June 9 in Corvallis. This is not chip-timed, nor is it exactly a 5k, but in case you’ve forgotten, it’s free. It’s the kickoff for the Corvallis Public Library’s Summer Reading Program – and we love reading, so we highly suggest you take everyone you know!
- For Central Oregon on June 9th, we recommend the Wetlands Webfoot Waddle. At $20, this 5k meets our low-price qualification and it’s a race to support Crook County XC programs. Plus, you get to run through the new Crooked River Wetlands Complex in Prineville.
- If you’re on the Southern Oregon Coast, you can’t beat the Jennifer’s Catching Slough Classic run on June 9 in Coos Bay. Pick your distance: 5k, 10k, or half marathon, all distances are only $25. This race has been held for more than a decade, put on by the nonprofit South Coast Running Club.
- In Helix, Oregon, you can also run a low-price race on Saturday, June 9. The Heart of the Country offers a mile, 5k, or 10k, each $20. Proceeds will support the Helix XC Team. Helix, for those of you that can’t place the town, is in Umatilla County.
- Another Portland Parks & Recreation $5 5k is coming up on Sunday, June 10 at Fernhill Park. That’s right. $5.
- The Backyard Half Marathon on June 16 in White Salmon, Wash. is one we recommend to anyone in the Pacific NW that loves trails, is at least on speaking terms with elevation gains and losses, and supporting good causes. There’s the half marathon and a four-miler, both technically FREE, but since proceeds go to White Salmon Cross Country Boosters and the Columbia Gorge Running Club Student Scholarship Fund, Run Oregon suggests you at least meet the suggestion of $25.
- The Outdoor Sunday Evenings 5k in Beaverton is on Sunday, July 8. Registration is only $5 until June 24, and even then it’s only $10. Bonus: your registration for this hilly afternoon 5k comes with dinner. No joke.