Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
Running Buddy registration is now open! The Girls on the Run 5k is Saturday, May 19 at PIR. Women that are interested in being a Running Buddy can sign up online now.
There are a ton of races this weekend that are only $25 (or less). Most are 5ks, but check this a quick list (including the organization that will receive proceeds):
- Saturday: Let Freedom Ring 5k in Forest Grove (Janus Youth Services) – $25
- Saturday: Butte Challenge 5k and 10k in Hermiston (Hermiston HS Cross Country) – $20 – Online registration closes at 8p on 5/11
- Saturday: CardV 5k Fun Run in Corvallis (Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence) – $25
- Saturday: Silverton Health 5k Fun Run in Silverton (Community health programs) – $15 for adults, $5 kids run – Online registration closes at midnight on 5/11
- Saturday: Miles for Mothers 5k or 10k in Redmond (Financial support for moms in need of counseling) – $25 – Online registration closes at midnight on 5/9
- Saturday: Prineville Hotshot Memorial Run 5k or 10k in Prineville – $25
- Saturday: Tough as Nails Roxy Ann Trail Race in Medford (Maslow Project) – 5k is $20 and 10-miler is $30
- Saturday: Cats for Kids 5k in McMinnville (Food & Allergy Research Education, and McMinnville Schools) – $25 – Online registration closes at midnight on 5/10
- Sunday: Mother’s Day Run for Parenting Now 5k in Eugene (Parenting Now) – $25
And the U of O’s Run with a Researcher – a free group run – is this Saturday as well in Eugene.
Plus, this Thursday is the next race in the OTC series. It’s only $5 if you’re not an OTC member (free if you are). It’s a XC-style 5k at Alton Baker Park at 6p.
Another great run coming soon is the Rhody Run in Florence. It’s got a 5k and 10k, and it’s only $20 if you register online. The race is Saturday, May 19.
How about a low-price half marathon? The Hero Half Marathon in Sweet Home on May 26 is still only $65 when you sign up online by 5/24. The race benefits Vietnam Veterans of America.
Actually, here’s an even better price for a half, if you’re willing to travel or live in Eastern Oregon, the Eastern Oregon Half on May 26 is only $35 … that’s a great deal! The race is in Spray, and there’s also a 10k and a 5k.