Welcome to a new year of the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
The Newport Marathon will have a price increase on April 1. Sign up in the next two weeks for the full at $90 or the half at $75. Keep in mind the race is capped at 1,000 participants.
On April 2nd, there’s another price bump for the Foot Traffic Flat. The marathon will go from $88 to $92, the half from $70 to $77, the 10k from $50 to $55, and the 5k from $37 to $39 ($2 is $2). The race is on July 4th at Sauvie Island.
The Elkhorn Crest 53-miler and Marathon has a price increase on April 1 from $135/$85 to $150/$95. This race is outside Sumpter, Ore. on Saturday, July 28.
Heads up if you’re planning to register for a Gorgeous Series Relay – the prices for a number of their relays increase April 3. Until then:
- Gorgeous Portland Pub Relay (May 19) prices range from $65 for 1 runner or $390 for a team of 6, those prices go up to $75/$450.
- Gorgeous Hood to Hood Relay (June 10), Gorgeous Wine Country Relay (July 14), Gorgeous Relay (September 16), and the Gorgeous Coast Relay (October 6) will all see a price increase from $90 (for a solo runner)/$540 (for a team of 6) to $100/$600
This weekend, there are a number of Irish-themed races! The largest is Portland’s Shamrock Run, of course, but if you just want a low-key, low-cost race, check out:
- Eagle Point is offering the Shamrock Shuffle 5k for only $7! The race is on Saturday at 9a.
- The Lucky Clover in Springfield, a race on Saturday offering a road 5k, a trail 5k, and a 10k made up of both courses for just $20 if you sign up through the 16th
- The Salem Paddy Pint has a 10k for $30 and a 5k for $25 when signing up by 8p on Friday (the race is on Saturday)
- Run in The Dalles with the Jumpstart St. Patrick’s Day River Run/Walk for just $15 for DOR registration. If you hurry, you can mail in your form and pre-register for only $10. The race is Saturday at 10a.
The Birds of Prey Half Marathon will run again this year! The race is scheduled for April 14 in North Bonneville, Wash. Online registration is already open and it’s only $30. If you’re wondering, how far away is North Bonneville? Well, it’s just west of Cascade Locks on the Washington side of the river.