This Radar Post is all about Turkey Trots. Our calendar partner, the Pacific NW Running Calendar, lists no less than 26 races in Oregon on November 23 and this round-up will highlight those that are low-cost (mainly 5ks for around $25) or that I know for a fact donate all or a significant portion of proceeds to nonprofits. If you don’t see your race listed, no worries – but this post is about those with the best prices/contributions to their communities.
Remember, if you know a really cool small race, an important registration deadline, or other fun running news, please send it our way so we can share it with our readers!
- Baker City: Their 5k Turkey Trot on Main Street is only $10 per person and starts at 9a. Bring non-perishable food to donate to the local food bank.
- Mosier: The Twin Tunnels Run is only $15 if you register before November 17th and $20 DOR. There is a 3k, a 5k, and a 12k – which offers the chance to run through the twin tunnels.
- Salem: The Salem Run’ucopia 5k, 10k, 15k is only $20 when you sign up by November 17th at 9p. Races on Thanksgiving morning have separate starts all around 9a, at Riverfront Park.
- Central Point: Join SOR for their 8-mile Run and 2-mile Run/Walk Southern Oregon Turkey Trot. Sign up before 11/20 for $20 ($15 for SOR members). The 8-miler is at 8a and the 2-miler is at 8:30a.
- Portland: The ORRC Turkey Trot donates thousands of dollars from their run to the Oregon Zoo – and you can take Max to get there and not even worry about driving. Register online for $40 and I’ll see you there!
- Winston (The Wildlife Safari): The Turkey Trot 5k Fun Run at the Wildlife Safari is only $15 when you sign up online, and kids 12 and under can run/walk at no cost. The run starts at 8:30a.
- Redmond: Register by November 20 for the 5k for $25 or the 10k for $30 for the Redmond Turkey Trot. The first 200 registered runners will receive a pie. That’s right, pie.
- Bend: FootZone is again hosting their I Like Pie 10k/5k run and fundraiser. The untimed registration is quite a good deal: Only $20 thru 11/22. There is also a timed option for $35.
- Klamath Falls: The Moore Park Turkey Trot registration price is one unwrapped child’s gift for Toys for Tots. I have a kindergartner and a 2-year-old and I can tell you, Disney Cars, My Little Pony, and board games are all still big hits.
- Newberg: A new race this year is The Great Turkey Fumble 5k, for $26 plus two non-perishable food items. And you get to take home a football.
- Eugene: The 4-miler Turkey Trot in Eugene is $25 when you sign up online ($30 DOR). The race is at Maurie Jacobs Park; there’s also a 2-miler and a kids 200-m run.
- Coos Bay: The South Coast’s 5k Turkey Trot is a great price: FREE, but you’ll need to bring at least 2 cans of food to run/walk.
- Grants Pass: The GP Turkey Trot is only $15 when you sign up thru 11/21. There’s a 5k and a 2-miler.
- McMinnville: How about the Ham Fam Fun Run for only $6 OR 3 cans of food? This super low-key run stands to be the next breakout race … because people love low-cost runs. Be sure to read the facebook post for the details: 333 NW 9th in McMinnville at 9a, just show up to sign up!
That’s all for this installment.