Uberthons has been staging the Turkeython every year this decade now, and starting last year, in more than one location. Clackamas Town Center and downtown PDX joined Bridgeport Village as venues for this turkey trot. (My recap of last year’s event can be found here.) Expansion went so well that this year there are not three, but SIX different locations for the Turkeython: Bridgeport Village, downtown, Clackamas Town Center, Rock Creek Country Club in Hillsboro, Big Al’s in Vancouver, and Yoncalla.
Different locations, but the same Uberthons experience: chip timing and instant results available online*, race medals for all finishers, age group winner pins*, medals for overall/masters/65+ winners*, post-race muffin bar, and plenty of fun.
* Due to city of Portland permitting requirements, the downtown Turkeython is an untimed fun run. Each participant will receive a timing stop watch as part of registration so you can time yourself (if you don’t use a GPS watch or GPS app).
Each location also serves as a fundraiser for a location charity, ranging from the Yoncalla Elementary School to the Oregon Food Bank and more.
I’ve run the Turkeython every year it’s been in existence, and it’s definitely part of my Thanksgiving routine. The weather has varied from mild and cool to frigid, but the race itself has been consistently superb. Run a race and then feast later. (Hey, that 5K should earn a slice of pie, right?)
When: Nov. 23, 2017, at 8:30 a.m.
Where: six different locations:
- Bridgeport Village, 7455 SW Bridgeport Rd, Tigard
- downtown PDX, under the west end of the Morrison Bridge in Waterfront Park
- Clackamas Town Center, 12000 SE 82nd Ave, Happy Valley
- Big Al’s, 16615 Se 18th St, Vancouver, WA
- Rock Creek Country Club, 5100 NW Neakahnie Ave, Portland
- Yoncalla, 5th Street & Birch Avenue, Yoncalla, OR
Register: Online here – click on your choice of location and then click on “register now” in the upper banner. 5K only at each location is $30 plus a small processing fee. Families of 3 to 6 can register as a group for $25 each.
Pre-race packet pickup: Generally on Tuesday, Nov. 21, and/or Wednesday, Nov. 22, at locations near the particular race.