I have yet to attempt to run in a costume, but I think if I were to, I’d opt for the old school jack-o-latern giant pumpkin one. The Ashland Monster Dash Run for Education has been going on for 9 years now and their tag line is “So Fun it’s Scary!” and this event certainly has a lot going on to make it just that – costumed or not!
First, both runners and non-runners are invited to join in for the pre-event Monster Ball at the Historic Ashland Armory from 5:00-8:00pm on Friday, October 27. A pasta dinner will be provided as well as a Silent Auction and Raffle, DJ’d music and a costume contest. Woo hoo!
After you’ve had a fun filled night, it’s on to race day! The race course for all three runs follows the perimeter of Lithia Park, a beautiful 93 acre park in downtown Ashland. All races are both challenging and fun with gentle rolling hills. The out and back course will allow you to see everyone’s costumes as you pass each other! The courses are on streets primarily but the 5K and 10K do have portions on dirt and gravel. No dogs are allowed in the Park! If you happen to be a stroller runner you can bring those, but you will be required to start at the back of the starting group.
The races are all chip timed and first place winners will be handed out prizes after the races are finished. These are:
- 10K – First place male and female – $150 cash and trophy
- 5K – First place male and female – $100 cash and trophy
- 1 mile fun run/walk male and female – $50 cash and trophy
$25 gift cards will be mailed out to top male and female winners in each age category.
This entire event is a fundraiser for the Ashland Schools Foundation and money will go towards:
- Impact Grants in all schools – these grants fund innovative, enriching hands-on projects in (and out!) of the classrooms, making education more fulfilling for students and their teachers.
- Keeping Educators in the Classroom – this funding strives to keep as many teachers, aides and specialists as possible in the classroom, increasing the educator/student ratio.
Make it a fun and healthy Halloween weekend event for you and the kids!
When: Saturday, October 28
- 8:00 am On-Site Race-day Registration & Packet-Pickup opens
- 8:30 am Start of the 10k Run
- 10:00 am Start of the 1-mile Fun Run/Walk
- 10:45 am Start of the 5k Run
Where: Lithia Park – near Band Shell – Ashland, Oregon
- All races for 18 and under – $10
- Adults – 1 mile Fun Run/Walk – $15; 5K or 10K $25