Here’s what Run Oregon has been keeping an eye on this week. Remember, if you know a really cool small race, an important registration deadline, or other fun running news, please send it our way so we can share it with our readers!
- Free event alert! There’s a fun run starting and ending at West Salem High School on Monday, August 21 (the day of the eclipse, if you’ve been off the grid for a while). The “Run to the Sun” will start at 9a and folks will be able to watch the eclipse from the school’s football stadium. Bring your eclipse glasses!
- Cheap race alert! The Scandia Run in Junction City on August 12 is only $10 and offers a 10k and 5k. Read Matt’s preview here.
- Looking for a cheap fall half marathon? The ORRC Blue Lake Half Marathon is only $40 if you sign up before August 14. (The 5k is $30 until that date.) This new half marathon (they previously offered a 15k) will run on Saturday, October 14 at Blue Lake Park in Fairview.
- The Oregon Brewery Series has a run this weekend – remember you can save 20% off with the code runOR20! The run on August 12 starts at 11a from Laurelwood Public House & Brewery at 5115 NE Sandy Blvd and includes a loop around the grounds of Grant High School.
- Also running this Saturday is the Post Canyon 50k and Half Marathon in Hood River. If you’re ready to just rattle off 13.1 miles, this half is only $49 but online registration closes tonight at 11:59p.
- Want to escape the heat? The Tillamook Bay Run is also on Saturday, August 12 – and the 10k is the same price as the 5k, which is a pretty good price per mile at $35. This trail run is partially on the beach so you’ll stay cool.
- Looking ahead to next weekend, Sean’s Run for ARROAutism on Saturday, August 19 is only $22 when you sign up before August 14th. This run is held at the same location as last year in North Portland, and as of today there are less than 190 spots left.
- And one of the most popular free runs in Oregon – the Oregon State Penitentiary Run Half Marathon – is coming up on September 8. Remember, you have to submit your registration form ahead of time and be approved 10 days prior to the race. If that date doesn’t work for you, there’s also a 5k/10k on August 25 and October 6. Get details here.
That’s all for this installment.