Here’s what Run Oregon has been keeping an eye on this week. Remember, if you know a really cool small race, an important registration deadline, or other fun running news, please send it our way so we can share it with our readers!
First, some important news:
- The Portland Marathon has selected a route (it is very close to option 1, if you were following this story closely). The route starts out downtown and then runs along Naito, including the out-and-back in the industrial area, before heading onto Nicolai for a short segment and then avoiding the Highway 30/Nicolai interchange by turning south on what looks like NW 22nd Ave. Traveling south for just a few blocks, it appears the route goes west on NW Wilson and then heads back north to Nicolai on NW 24th Ave. The route stays on Nicolai, which becomes St. Helens Road, and then joins with Highway 30 to the St. John’s Bridge. Over the river, the course follows Willamette Drive to a turnaround in front of the University of Portland. From there, it’s not clear if the industrial out-and-back is included on the route back to the finish or not – we’ll have to wait for a more detailed map to be issued.
And a look at the races we’re keeping an eye on:
- Remember: registration for the Silver Falls 50k, Marathon, Half Marathon, and 7-miler opens at 8a on August 1. Registration has typically sold out in a matter of hours, so be ready that morning if this race is in your sights! The 50k will be $75, the full marathon $65, the half $50, and the 7-miler $40. The ultra, marathon, and 7-miler are on Saturday, November 5 and the half marathon (capped at 1,100) is on Sunday, November 5.
- Reminder: The Beaverton Sun Run is this Sunday, July 23! Online registration will close on Friday, July 21 but there is day of race registration. There’s a 5k, 10k, and FREE kid’s dash at this Beaverton race.
- The Bend Classic Mile offers a unique road mile experience; it’s held between heats of a huge cycling event (the Cascade Cycling Pro Event) in downtown Bend this Friday, July 22. The cut-off time is 9 minutes, and registration is $25.
- Cool AND cheap race alert! The ORRC Dual Duel is a 2-person, 10-mile relay with runners alternating laps on Catlin Gabel’s track. Registration is $20 per person. Scheduled for Wednesday, August 2.
- Same event – different race – the ORRC Mile is a track mile with elite, open, and predict-your-time heats. And it’s only $5. Also on Wednesday, August 2.
- Bend’s Children’s Festival includes a race for ages 3-10 that’s included with your tickets to the event. There are different distances based on age at the Balloon Blast Race, part of the Kids Rock the Races Series. The race is on Saturday, July 29.
- This Saturday is another run in the Oregon Brewery Running Series – this time at Migration Brewing Company in close-in NE Portland. Remember, you can save 20% off registration with our code: RunOR20. These are fun runs/walks and registration includes a pint at the finish.
That’s all for this installment. See you next week!