Portland Running Company’s Beaverton store is hosting a fun event tomorrow night (Wednesday, June 7, 2017) for National Running Day! Here are the details (click for more):
“National Running Day – June 7 – Come one, come all to a free group run and barbecue at Portland Running Company to celebrate National Running Day. We’ll have shoes for you to test on the run and follow it up with fresh-grilled hot dogs and fresh-chilled cold beer (or soda).” This group run will start at 6p from their store at SW Scholls Ferry and Nimbus in Beaverton.
Here’s what else you should know this week:
- You know, you don’t have to spend a fortune to run a half marathon! One of my favorite races (although I’m not in shape for it right now) is the White Salmon Backyard Half. A trail that’s on private land, this is pretty much your only chance to run this beautiful, challenging yet rewarding course each year. The half marathon is a suggested donation of $25 with all proceeds going to White Salmon Cross Country Boosters and the Columbia Gorge Running Club Student Scholarship Fund, which sends Columbia High School XC runners to running camp. The race is Saturday, June 17 at 9a; there’s also a 4-miler. Sign up online here.
- We heard of a code to save $10 on the Portland Marathon: LYNNETTE17 … it’s like a magical unicorn and who knows when you’ll see another one, so try it out if you’re planning to sign up.
- Speaking of distance events, the Hood to Coast Series Red, White, and Blues 10k will now run alongside a half marathon. The race is July 1 in West Linn, and you can sign up online here for the half for $70 and the 10k for $55. Prices go up June 25 to $80/$60.
- Cheap race alert! The Neskowin 5k Runabout looks like a great course too, on the Oregon coast south of Pacific City. This July 4th race is only $15 if you sign up before June 15.
- Cheap race alert #2! The Outdoor Sunday Evenings 5k is only $5 if you sign up by June 25. This hilly Beaverton course draws strong competition and all paces, including many walkers and families with kids in strollers. Did I mention it’s only $5! (And if you wait until June 26, it’s only $10.)
That’s all for this installment. Readers and RDs, if you have a newsworthy announcement, please send it our way so we can share it with our readers!