This Thursday (May 25) is the Discovery Run, at Road Runner Sports in Tualatin’s Nyberg Woods Shopping Center. It’s a scavenger-hunt run that will have you running around Tualatin and on the lovely trails at Brown’s Ferry Park for chances to win prizes. It’s free, and starts at 6:30p. The run/walk lasts for an hour and the raffle starts at 7:30p.
Next Thursday (June 1) is First Thursday! That’s the Urban Adventure (Scavenger Hunt) Run hosted on the first Thursday of each month by Fleet Feet Sports PDX at their NW Portland location, 2258 NW Raleigh St. This is a free group run, starting promptly and 6 and giving you an hour to get to as many checkpoints as you can/want to. The more you go to, the more raffle tickets you get!
Did you know that Portland Running Company has a Wednesday-morning trail run in Forest Park? A group meets at the bus stop by the entrance to the Japanese Gardens in Washington Park at 6:30a and finishes up within an hour. In case you have to, you know, go to work. PRC has a lot of great group runs and events (some with beer) that you can find on their frequently-updated events calendar.
This weekend, someone asked me how they could find more 5k/10k walks in our area. Well, friends, most 5k and 10k races (and a good number of longer events) support walkers and would be happy to have you. If you’re even unsure, just post on the race’s facebook page, email them, or check out last year’s results. Racewalkers can cover a mile in less than 13 minutes, while more casual walkers usually walk between 16 and 20 minutes per mile. Knowing this, you can see how many walkers participated in last’s year version of the event.
As for races, here’s what we like for this weekend and next:
- The ORRC Up the Lazy River 10k is this Monday – Memorial Day – on May 29. You can still sign up for this race, which Run Oregon bloggers Abby and Kelly put on as volunteer RDs, and save $5 with the code RUNLAZY. We’ve got Starbucks cards for overall prizes, age group awards 6-deep, and special speedster hats for men running under 42 and women faster than 48! Regular registration is $35.
- If you’d rather not do a timed run this weekend, Oregon Brewery Series is based at Lompoc’s North Portland brewhouse race this weekend, the at 3901 N. Williams. Their run is Saturday, May 27 and is $30 – but you can save $ with the code RunOR20.
- And if you’re in Eugene, a good race on Memorial Day is the Miles On Memorial. Pre-registration is only $25, and if you’re under 18 or 60+, it’s only $20. There’s a 5k, 10k, 15k, and 3-person 15k relay at this race which starts and finishes at Alton Baker Park.
- Looking ahead to next weekend, there’s a race raising funds for camp scholarships for children living in a foster care situation in Newberg on June 3. The “For the Kids 5k” is $30 for pre-registration, and very family-friendly, offering a price of $15 for ages 13-18 and free registration for ages 12 and younger.
- A race for a great cause is running in Corvallis on June 3 as well. The Spring 5k Celebration is a fund raiser for Girls on the Run Willamette Valley, and community runner registration is only $25.
That’s all for this installment. Readers and RDs, if you have a newsworthy announcement, please send it our way so we can share it with our readers!