It’s almost Saturday which means it’s almost time for another Portland Marathon Clinic free training run!
This week’s run will start and end at Road Runner Sports in NW Portland (29 NW 23rd Place) and will start at 8a. Parking can be tight in this area; you probably don’t want to park in the Uptown Parking Center as their spots are only good for 2 hours. You can find street parking in this area (metered) or park a little further away and try to find free spots. Carpooling is a great option for this run because of the parking challenges.
The run this weekend has 2 distance options: 10 miles and 12 miles. The Clinic will be hosting one aid station which you will run past two times, but it’s always suggested for you to carry your own water.
The route starts out by running straight to the Willamette River on NW Everett and then over the Steel Bridge. From there, the route heads south on the Eastbank Esplanade and the Springwater Corridor Trail. The 10-milers will turn around at Ross Island (not the bridge, the actual island) and the 12-milers will continue on another mile to Oaks Amusement Park. On this run, it’s important to run only on your side of the path; usually you can run 2 people across here without impeding opposing traffic, but play it safe. There are often cyclists out that move pretty fast and there’s always one or two who either don’t know or don’t care about proper safety etiquette.
If you have never been, here is what you need to know:
- Bring your own hydration and nutrition
- Dress appropriately for the weather
- Try to take care of bathroom business as best you can before coming to the run – helps keep the potty line moving smoothly
- Be respectful of the hosting businesses; adhere to parking rules and in general, be awesome.
- You do NOT have to be planning to run a fall marathon to come along on these runs
- The pace group leaders are all volunteers – so please be sure to thank them each week!
- Read this FAQ to get any other questions answered