Welcome to the 13th Edition of the 2017 Races on our Radar Series where we give you a heads up on price increases, shirt deadlines, and other details to help you find and save money on cool races. If you have some timely news for us, please send it our way so we can share it with our readers!
We also want to hear about the races that might otherwise be overlooked – either because they’re small, they’re new, or they just don’t have an advertising budget. Run Oregon wants to give those races just as much exposure as the major events, because often they’re just as great of an event and deserve local support. Tell us about features like unique courses, buddy discounts, nonprofits that benefit from the race, amazing raffle prizes, and other details to help connect local runners and walkers to their new favorite race. Click here and tell us about your favorite event!
- One of the most unique races in Oregon, the Mt. Ashland Hillclimb will see a price increase on March 31 (this Friday). The race is on Saturday, August 12, and is basically a half marathon followed by a quarter mile of the most heinous uphill climb you’ll ever do at a finish line. The price is currently only $30 and goes up to $35. It’s a fun race and the RDs do a great job.
- They July 8 Twilight Half Marathon will go from $69 to $79 on April 1st. The 5k and 10k also go up by $10.
- The Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon will also have a price increase on March 31. The race is on September 3rd; current price is $100 for individual registration.
- Another classic Oregon race, the MacDonald Forest 50k, will also have a price increase soon – April 1. The race is on Saturday, May 13, so if you’ve been training with a “wait and see” attitude towards registration, save yourself $10 by signing up before this Saturday. Currently, it’s $70 to sign up.
- Another price bump to pay attention to! The Grapes of Half Marathon has an increase to $60 on Saturday, April 1. Until then, the price is only $50 – what a deal for a half marathon! This race, running on Sunday, May 21, will be at Noble Estate Winery outside of Eugene.
- A cool Easter-themed race is the Easter Egg Stash Dash, coming up on Saturday, April 15 in Eugene. This event includes a half marathon for $49, a 5k for $20, and a Kids 1k Egg Hunt. The Half Marathon includes a race shirt if you sign up by this Friday, March 31.
- A nonprofit 5k race that we only recently learned about is the 5k Trail Trekker. It will be held on Saturday, April 8 in Tualatin with all proceeds going to the Tualatin Parks Department. Registration for this chip-timed 5k is $35 (or $30 if you sign up with a buddy).
- Looking for a race this weekend? Run Oregon recommends these races which offer online registration for the next few days:
- Where to Start for Stayon Police K9, including a 5k, 9k, and Dog Run in Stayton on Saturday; $25 (read our preview)
- Horse Butte 10 Miler in Bend/Redmond on Sunday; $45 (read our preview)
- Stub Stewart Trail Challenge near Buxton/Vernonia on Sunday, $35 (read our preview)
- Race for the Roses Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k in Portland on Sunday; $60 for the 5k, $70 for the 10k, and $90 for the half (all prices include a shirt) with (read how all proceeds benefiting Albertina Kerr)
- Also coming up really soon is the first race in Go Beyond Racing’s Go Race Series. You can register online through March 31 for one race or the entire series, which runs each Wednesday in April out of either Cook Park or Tualatin Community Park.
That’s all for this installment.