Why do I return to this race year after year? Here are a few of my reasons, in no particular order.
1. The shirts. You always get a quality long-sleeved tech shirt that holds up for years and is a great fit. I wear mine often during the cooler months, and I see many other runners sporting their Cascade Half shirts at other races and while out for a casual run. And, you can be assured that regardless of the design, there will always be a roadrunner somewhere on the shirt, thanks to the Willamette Valley Road Runners, who put this race on every year.
2. The FLAT course. Yes, I know, you’ve run many races that claimed to be flat and the claim was exaggerated. This course is truly flat. No hills, no speedbumps, nothing but good flat road! It is a thing of beauty.
3. Warm indoor pre-race area. Packet pick-up on race day is in the Cascade Jr. High School gymnasium. Once you get your packet, you have a large area to get ready and even do some warming up indoors. There are also plenty of indoor bathrooms, which we all know is a bonus at any race.
4. Warm indoor post-race changing areas. After a cold January race, it is wonderful to be able to head indoors and use the locker rooms to change into dry clothes and even shower if you want.
5. Soup, bread, and cookies! After this race, be sure to head to the cafeteria for the warm, delicious chicken noodle soup and a variety of yummy breads and cookies to choose from. It is well-worth it. And, the awards are held in the cafeteria as well, so you don’t have to leave the warmth and good food to catch the awards.
6. The cause. Proceeds from this event support Cascade High School’s running programs. A run that supports young runners is always something I can get behind.
7. Bragging rights. OK, I’ll admit, there has been some crazy weather in January, but there is just something about being able to say you ran the Cascade Half the year the roads were covered in ice and then snow, or the year the wind was blowing the rain horizontally, or . . . whatever this year will hold! It could be a beautiful sunny day. You never know.
After multiple years of running the half marathon at this race, I will be participating the the 10K this year. I feel like I’ll be running a brand new race, even though the course is the same – it just turns around much sooner. I’m looking forward to this new adventure and another year at this event.
Cascade Half Details
Date: Sunday, January 17
Times: 8:00 A.M. – Half Marathon – early start (for those that expect to take longer than 2 1/2 hours)
9:00 A.M. – Half Marathon
9:15 A.M. – 10K
Location: Turner Jr. High, 10226 SE Marion Rd, Turner
Race Prices: $45, if registered by Dec. 25
$60 after Dec. 25
Note: There is NO Day of Race registration for this event.
Race Website: Click Here