- When: Sunday, November 23 (Weekend before Thanksgiving)
- Where: Eugene, Oregon at the Headquarters of the Eugene Electric and Water Board
- Time of each event:
- Half marathon, 9 a.m.
- 5K and 10K, 9:15 a.m.
- Kids' 400 meter dash, 8:30 a.m. (Free and no registration required)
- Sponsored by Eugene Emeralds baseball team
New for 2014:
- No day of race registration (Last day to register will be Saturday, November 22)
- After party at Tap & Growler which is just three blocks from the finish
- Pint or non-alcoholic beverage and giant soft pretzel for each participant
- A Special Run to Stay Warm beer that is being brewed by Claim 52 Brewing
- New half marathon finisher medal
The course is a nearly flat loop course that starts and finishes at the EWEB Headquarters with the highest points being the foot bridges that cross over the Willamette River. According to my Garmin from last year’s half marathon race there was an elevation gain of 144 feet and a loss of 190 feet. The race starts in EWEB back lot which allows time for the runners to thin out a bit before hitting the paved trail. Once on the trail, runners will run through multiple parks along the river on both sides. If you are interested in an interactive map of the half marathon course you can check out my Garmin results from last year which shows it in detail. I did a race recap for this race for Run Oregon back in 2012 that detailed what the experience was like.
The weather in Eugene in November has an average high of 52 degrees and an average low of 38 degrees. Each year I have run it, the weather has been on the cool side, so bring layers that you can shed and warming up before your race will help improve your performance.
The EWEB Run to Stay Warm is one of few half marathons in Oregon for November and it is one of my top favorite halfs in Oregon. It is reasonably priced, has a great course that runs along the river and you are supporting a wonderful cause to keep people warm.
Check out the Run to Stay Warm website for all details about this charitable event.