The 5th annual Buck Mountain Mudslinger 6.5 mile Trail Run, held on February 22 in Silver Falls State Park is a combination of excitement, difficulty, and varied weather. Here is what I told Amber:
- Dress warm. You never know what you are going to get up there in the hills. It could be rain or it could be blue skies. Just come prepared. Also bring a change of clothes (specifically socks and shoes). You’ll thank me later.
- Don’t wear good running shoes. Significant portions of the 2012 event were run in the tire tracks compressed between 6-12 inches of snow. There may not be snow this year, but you will definitely get wet and muddy (within the first half mile too!)
- Don’t expect a PR and be OK with walking. There is a steady climb for the first half of the course– with some pretty significant hills. This leads to a big downhill eventually, but just stay realistic.
- Enjoy the after party. Run Wild Adventures does a great job at their after-race gathering. They have wonderful donated food (Great Harvest, Seven Brides Brewing, Silver Falls Coffee Company).
- Have a good time. Regardless of where you finish, how wet and cold you get, or the weather overhead, I have always described RWA events as a community of people who support each other and have a good time while doing so. There will be unique handmade awards for the Top 3 overall Male and Female Finishers and first place age group winners, as well as awards for the best dressed Cowgirl and Cowboy.
Good luck Amber (and to everyone else running as well!)